- Official name: Hellenic Republic
- National holidays: 25 March and 28 October. 25 March marks the beginning of the Greek War of Independence in 1821. 28 October is Ochi Day – it commemorates Greece’s rejection of the ultimatum issued by Mussolini in 1940, which sparked the Greco-Italian war (“ochi” means “no”).
- Greece joined the European Union on 1 January 1981.
- The euro was introduced in cash form on 1 January 2002.
- Area: 131,957km2 (mainland Greece: approx. 107,000km²; islands: approx. 25,000km² across more than 3,000 islands)
- Borders: 282km with Albania to the north, 228km with the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and 494km with Bulgaria, as well as 206km with Turkey to the east. The Ionian Sea forms a natural border to the west.
- Distance between Athens and Berlin: 1628.80km
- Greece is made up of 13 regions: Attica, Central Greece, Central Macedonia, Crete, East Macedonia and Thrace, Epirus, Ionian Islands, North Aegean, Peloponnese, South Aegean, Thessaly, West Greece, West Macedonia.
- The best-known Greek islands are Crete, Corfu, the Ionian Islands, Kythira, the Cyclades, the Sporades, Chios, Euboea, Lesbos, Lemnos and Thassos.
- Highest mountain: Mount Olympus (2,917m)
- Climate: varied, primarily Mediterranean
- Total population: 10,760,136
- Population density: 81.55 inhabitants/km2
- Athens, the nation’s capital, has a population of 655,790.
- Other large cities include Thessaloniki (port in the north and Greece’s second-largest city) and Heraklion (port and largest city on Crete).
Greek is an independent branch of the Indo-European family of languages. Ancient Greek, which is still taught in schools, and the Modern Greek spoken in Greece today are regarded as separate stages of the Greek language.
- Φασόλια με χόρτα σε πουρέ πιπεριάς / Beans with dandelion greens and paprika mousse
- Σαγανάκιτυρίμεσαλάτα / Saganaki cheese with green salad
- Γίγαντες / Baked beans
- Φάβα/ Yellow split pea purée with caramelised onions
- Μπακαλιάροςκοκκινιστός / Cod in tomato sauce
- Κοτόπουλομεπατάτεςστοφούρνο / Roast chicken fillet with potatoes
- Ψητέςπατάτεςμεμυρωδικά / Roast potatoes with a parsley and basil pesto
- Σπανακόρυζο / Spinach and rice
- Χόρτα / Dandelion greens
- Καρυδόπιτα / Walnut cake
- Σιμιγδαλένιοςχαλβάς / Semolina halva with marinated fruit